The Faculty of Pharmacy (FFA) is one of the younger members of the University of Ljubljana (UL) – but with a more than 50-years tradition in teaching pharmacy and clinical chemistry. The beginning of a full university pharmacy study at the University of Ljubljana goes back to 1960, when the Pharmaceutical department was established at the Faculty of Science and Technology, Department of Chemistry. The Department of Pharmacy obtained part of the premises of "Stare tehnike" in Aškerčeva Street at that time, where the Faculty of Pharmacy has its premises even today.
Before 1960 there were two attempts at organizing academic pharmacy studies in Slovenia. The first attempt dates back to 1945-1948 when it was possible to enter the first two years of pharmacy study at the University of Ljubljana, with the possibility of continuation in Zagreb or Belgrade. In 1948/49, the studies of pharmacy in Ljubljana were abolished, and introduced again in 1955/56, with the first two years of studies at the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Faculty of Ljubljana, with the possibility of continued studies at other pharmaceutical faculties in Yugoslavia, especially in Zagreb - until 1960, when the complete studies of pharmacy were introduced to the University of Ljubljana.
In 1974, VTOZD Pharmacy was founded (Higher basic organization of associated labour) within the Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Ljubljana. In 1991, renaming of VTOZD Pharmacy occurred into the Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Science and Technology, and in 1994, the Faculty of Pharmacy became independent after separation of the Faculty of Science and Technology, and operates as such even today. FFA has been registered by a decision of the District Court of Ljubljana on 14/10/1996. In 2000, the Faculty of Pharmacy obtained new extension of its premises, which partly mitigated the overcrowding due to the increasing number of students.
Part-time pharmacy - medical biochemistry studies were held at that time at VTOZD Pharmacy between 1977 and 1990. From 1992/93 to 1994/95, higher pharmacy studies - medical biochemistry programme was organized as a regular two-year study. In 1995, in accordance with the Law on Higher Education, higher pharmacy studies – medical biochemistry programme was redesigned and upgraded to a three-year higher educational programme of laboratory biomedicine, carried out by the FFA since 1995/96.